Monday, May 28, 2007

Been Away Too Long!

Yikes. I received a vm from an old friend the other day, letting me know she follows my blog. My what??? Damn. My blog...I nearly forgot all about it. Well, until now. Have logged a ton 'o miles since my last post, with 6600 YTD. My friend Pete Wilson was catching up to me in the mileage dept. and I figure the only way to be within 1-2 states of him in RAAM is to ride at LEAST as much as him. Pretty smart for a PE grad from Chico State.

The big race is now 2 weeks from tomorrow. I am ready...or not. Someone who know alot about training said, "the hay is in the barn," whatever that is supposed to mean. Seriously, I am feeling very ready. Of course, the big unknown is the ensuing fatigue that climbs on one's back as the miles pile up and the sleep times...unpile? Never mind.

About 5-6 weeks ago I was really no longer interested in competing in RAAM. I had completed a monster 400 mile race simulation weekend, my depression was kicking into high gear, and then I caught a virus at the lovely hotel I stayed in while in SF for a conference. Down for the count for almost 3 weeks, with little training and even less desire to get on the bike.

Well, I am back. The past 3 days I rode 300 miles at an average of 18.5 mph and an average heart rate of 120. The endurance is definitely "in the barn," as the experts say.

I promise to check in more often as the race approaches...

It's ALl about saving lives.

No comments: