Thursday, March 8, 2007

They Say It Can't Be Done

The pundits love to speak out in times like these. I have chosen to enter Race Across America on a 2 person team. Many say I can't do it, shouldn't do it, I won't make it because I have never done an 8 man RAAM, won't be able to train enough, to name just a few of the comments.

All my life I have proved the critics wrong. I was told I would never make the high school varsity track team. I lettered 3 years in a row. "They" said I would never be good enough to compete at the collegiate level. I earned all-conference honors 3 years in a row. "They" said I would never break 3 hours in my first marathon. I ran 2:31. "They" said I would not improve on that time at Boston as it is a tough course (and it is). I ran 2:29, finishing 12 seconds in front of the first woman.

"They" said I would never pull off opening and operating a high-priced assisted living community in Sacramento. We set company and industry records on our way to the bank. "They" even said, way back when, that I could never get 300 college students to come to a Christian-oriented meeting on a Friday night in a college town. Um, they were wrong...again. Oh, and then there were those who told me I was a fool to try to go to grad school when I had 3 small children. They were correct on one part - I was a fool. But, I did graduate...with honors.

So, will I really be able to complete a 2 person RAAM? Of course, there are no guarantees. I mean, I "only" have to ride 1500 miles in about 8 days, about 185 miles every 24 hours. Yikes!

But none of what the pundits say really matters. There is a sign above my desk that says, "What people think of me is none of my business." What other people think is relatively easy to deal with - it is what I believe that is the tough one. Am I good enough? Have I trained enough? Do I know what I'm doing?

Every single day I face situations where I am up against the limits of my knowledge and experience. What do I do? Pick up the phone and ask someone. Attend a class. Read a book on the subject. Becoming a better and stronger cyclist is pretty simple. I go ride my bike.

Of course, I have NO idea how long I will live. I do have a choice to live my life with intention - with purpose, clarity and with a mission. It's no mystery that people who choose to live for something are the ones who get noticed...and criticized.

Just take a look at history. Nobody talks about those who chose to do nothing.

Rolling On,

2 comments:

Josh Carpenter said...

Very inspiring post. I think we have a lot in common when it comes to motivation. My best motivation other than myself is others telling me that I can't. I think that it has served me well since transplant though at times I may have pushed a little too hard, too fast. Thought I would leave you with a couple of quotes that inspire me.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
- James Baldwin

and my favorite....

They can conquer who believe they can.
- Virgil

Pako Falito Ichiban Ito said...

Keep looking at the sign on your desk! See you at the finish line...