Monday, December 11, 2006

Can life really be this good?

In the past 15 months, I quit drinking alcohol, I now exercise daily (I now even practice yoga!), eat a ridiculously healthy diet, have lost 60 lbs. and am training to ride my bike in Race Across America. And I used to think that running the Boston Marathon would be my ultimate fitness accomplishment! Not only am I going to ride in RAAM, I am blown away at the opportunity to direct one of the coolest organizations around - Team Donate Life. Just today we registered 35 people who are choosing to race with Team Donate Life in RAAM 2007. 35 people? Yep, over 20% of all RAAM entrants. Don't ask me how all of this came about. What I do know is that Jason Weckworth, a live kidney donor and co-founder of Team Donate Life could feel the earth rumbling that Team Donate Life would one day be very big. But this soon? After only 2 years in existence, TDL is becoming quite the buzz in the endurance cycling and transplant communities. On that life-altering day in the Summer of 05, I would have laughed out loud if someone told me I would be an exhibitor two years later at the National Transplant Congress. The what? Not sure. Dr. Perez, the Transplant Chief at UC Davis Medical Center said I should be there to show off Team Donate Life. Heck, why not?

Life really IS this good. Certainly, it is not just by accident. I took inventory of my life and chose to recreate it into something new and wonderful. I began to believe that Kent Mulkey deserved to be happy and live a life of passion. Someone recently suggested that perhaps I am becoming obsessed with the cycling thing. Duh! but, I still have to call Half-Draft to ask him the names of parts and gear I am about to purchase at the local bike shop. Gotta look and sound good on the way to becoming good! It's guys like Half-Draft, Pencilneck, Phatty and Fatty that have demonstrated great patience and encouragement as the miles begain pling up and the fat began to melt away.

Now, go ride your bike. Tell folks about the opportunity to save lives by donating their organs. it really is that simple to make a huge difference. Close to 100,000 people are waiting.

Mulkman

No comments: